College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st paragraph of the body of my essay

Go down

1st paragraph of the body of my essay Empty 1st paragraph of the body of my essay

Post  LauraR Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Depersonalization disorder is low in prevalence, as well as in incidence. It is also quite difficult to diagnose due to the many ambiguous symptoms that manifest during the ailment. It is often the case that the symptoms are seen as indicators of anxiety disorders, borderline personality disorder and substance use (David, 1999). The DSM-IV TR is the best tool to use for proper diagnosing. According to the manual, there are four criteria for making a Depersonalization Disorder diagnosis. Criterion A states that there need to be “persistent episodes of depersonalization characterized by a feeling of detachment or estrangement from one’s self” (Psychiatric, 2000, pg. 530). Also, “The individual may feel like an automaton or as if he or she is living in a dream or a movie. There may be a sensation of being an outside observer of one’s mental processes, one’s body, or parts of one’s body. Various types of sensory anesthesia, lack of affective response, and a sensation of lacking control of one’s actions, including speech, are often present.” (Criterion B) (Psychiatric, 2000, pg. 530). The third criterion is that the above symptoms are recurring, and their severity causes distress and impairment in the patient’s functioning. Criterion D specifies that a diagnosis should not be made if the patient’s symptoms are caused by an alternative mental illness, by substance use or a medical condition (Psychiatric, 2000).
LauraR
LauraR

Back to top Go down