College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First body paragraph of my research essay.

3 posters

Go down

First body paragraph of my research essay. Empty First body paragraph of my research essay.

Post  NikaT Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:47 am

Hello everybody!
The topic of my research essay is "How Does The Media Creates Negative Images Of African Americans?" I would like to hear your constructive critics and suggestions!!!! Rolling Eyes

Racial stereotypes are using by media daily. One of the most visible examples is apparent on television screen regularly. Television news forms indelible unfavourable opinion about the visible minority. The Robert M, the journalist with huge experience, wrote in his article Americans According to TV News: “A study of local news reveals that verbal and visual images, which influence the racist mentality of viewers, have a tendency of classify Black as a certain type, while whites are presented with more individuality. There are also negative images of Black in political news and in the coverage of poverty.” (Bowman 29). In essence, the images of White people dominate the screen, while images of Black people are used to represent a mold. Moreover, the student research from Yale University discovered that: “The largest percentage of the population of poor people in America is white; in fact, African Americans make up only twenty nine percent of poor population. However, the news depicts the poor as African Americans sixty five of the time” (Gray ). In other words, news mostly uses images of the people of colour to illustrate poverty. That creates the famous stereotype that the majority of the Black people are impoverished. Furthermore, people have the huge impression, that Colored people all are successful in sport. This stereotype is being nourished by the news. At present, the visible minority in sport seem like the majority. The couch of NBA Lapchick said: “ From being lily white in player composition at their conception, today African-Americans comprise approximately 79% of NBA rosters, 65% of NFL line ups, and 18% of MLB teams” (Lapchick 194). However, he was trying to avoid inequality, he belied, that racial inequality linked to sport and crime are result of “Fans who are mostly white, observing sport, through a media filtered that is created by the overwhelming number of white men”( Lapchick 268). In brief, the huge percentage of African American players on famous teams gives impression that all Black people are prosperous in sport. To sum up, television is one of the most persuasive instruments of media. Due to the effect of television people start to believe in racial ideas about group of people.

NikaT

Back to top Go down

First body paragraph of my research essay. Empty essay

Post  100688792 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:28 am

I like your topic, but I would work more on the grammar and mechanics. Jin, posted a website I just checked out and it might help. Try it. Nice work.
susan

Back to top Go down

First body paragraph of my research essay. Empty Re: First body paragraph of my research essay.

Post  NikaT Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 am

Is there a grammar or mechanics mistakes, which I didn't catch yet? Can you quote it? I will realy appreciate it !!! Smile

NikaT

Back to top Go down

First body paragraph of my research essay. Empty Re: First body paragraph of my research essay.

Post  Av6364 Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:17 pm

When you are citing, make sure you include the last name of the author, year, and if it is a book, page number. For example, "Recent studies have shown that eating more fruits will reduce colon cancer" (Vuong, 2010).
Vuong is the last name of a single author and 2010 is the year when the work was published. Basically, you should go to the "Grammar, usage, vocabulary, etc.," and check for my post titled, "DOI & Tutorial on the Basics of APA Style." It will tell you how to cite properly, especially when you have work written by multiple authors.

You should watch out for run-on sentences somewhere in sentence 14, "However, he was trying to avoid...(Lapchick 268)." You have several ways to fix that. 1. Use a period to make it into two complete sentences. 2. Use a semicolon ( ; ) to separate two complete sentences. 3. Convert it into a compound sentence that have two or more complete sentences joined by a comma and a conjunction: She ate ice cream, and I ate pancakes. 4. You can convert the sentence into a complex sentence by joining the independent clause and the dependent clause by a subordinating conjunction: She ate ice cream while I ate pancakes. OR While I ate pancakes, she ate ice cream.

Try not to repeat the same word too much unless you have no other options. For example, "huge"
can be replaced with the word many, high, etc., and sometimes it is better to eliminate certain words when it isn't necessary. For example, remove the word huge in the sentence, "Furthermore, people have the huge impression...," and in sentence, "Television news forms indelible unfavourable opinion....," you have two adjectives to modify the word opinion. It sounds better if you remove the word indelible.

Av6364

Back to top Go down

Post  NikaT Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Thank you very much!!!!It is very useful, indeed!!! Exclamation

NikaT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down