College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture)

4 posters

Go down

first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture) Empty first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture)

Post  stephanie8443 Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Deaf culture and language are inseparable. They are intertwined and passed down through the generations of deaf people. Canada does not have its own sign language. Deaf immigrants brought their own sign languages over to Canada in the 19th century. English immigrants introduced British Sign Language (BSL), French immigrants brought Langue des Signes Française (LSF), and students and teachers who studied or worked in deaf schools in the United States brought over American Sign Language (ASL). Today the majority of the anglophone culturally deaf residents in Canada use American Sign Language. In francophone areas such as Quebec, deaf people prefer to have their own distinct language, Langue des Signes Québécoise (LSQ). Both ASL and LSQ have regional variations. From the late 1800’s through the 1960’s the use of sign language was forbidden in classrooms across Canada. This was because it was believed to impair speech development in deaf children. In the 1970’s and early 1980’s there was a major change in thinking as linguistic research showed the structure and rules of ASL. When manual communication reappeared in the classroom it was in the form of one of several artificial manual codes for spoken English or French rather than the language used by the deaf community. Since the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, the deaf community has been more adamant about receiving an education in their sign language (ASL or LSQ). In some schools this struggle has been successful, and a few schools have taken a bilingual (ASL and English) and a bicultural (Deaf and hearing cultures) approach. A few legislatures have formally recognized ASL as the language of the anglophone deaf community in Canada. Manitoba was the first in 1988, followed by Alberta in 1990. Ontario was the first province to pass a law regarding ASL and LSQ in 1993: the Ontario Education Act was amended to recognize ASL and LSQ as languages of instruction for deaf students.

stephanie8443

Back to top Go down

first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture) Empty Re: first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture)

Post  darrell9209 Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 pm

In the section below, I think you could rewrite it so if flows better. You are talking about the history and present day and when you read it out loud it’s hard to follow. Be careful not to over use words. ( I am really bad for that) Try to convey your thoughts so they flow better.
Example:
In the 19th century, deaf immigrants introduced British Sign Language (BSL) to the English and Langue des Signes Francaise (LSF) to the French. In the USA, teachers and students used American Sign Language (ASL) which is the standard in Canada today. Deaf francophone’s in Quebec prefer to have their own distinct language and use Langue des Signes Quebecoise (LSQ). Both ASL and LSQ have regional variations.
Hopefully this is a good example? – Hope it helps!

Deaf immigrants brought their own sign languages over to Canada in the 19th century. English immigrants introduced British Sign Language (BSL), French immigrants brought Langue des Signes Française (LSF), and students and teachers who studied or worked in deaf schools in the United States brought over American Sign Language (ASL). Today the majority of the anglophone culturally deaf residents in Canada use American Sign Language. In francophone areas such as Quebec, deaf people prefer to have their own distinct language, Langue des Signes Québécoise (LSQ). Both ASL and LSQ have regional variations.

darrell9209

Back to top Go down

first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture) Empty Re: first body paragraph for research paper (deaf culture)

Post  SarahRaposo Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 pm

I think its really good, i would love to read the rest! sounds like you did alot of research. Everything flows well, especially when you listed the different countries using their own type of sign language

SarahRaposo

Back to top Go down

Post  SaaraHaarah15 Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 am

This is a very interesting topic. Not many would have thought to do this topic. My brother actually is in the ASL program here, so hopefully, you could post your paper in its entirety. And I will direct my brother to it. My only thing was already mentioned, and that was to try to be a bit less repetitive.

SaaraHaarah15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down