College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullying and Sexual Orientation

4 posters

Go down

Bullying and Sexual Orientation Empty Bullying and Sexual Orientation

Post  darrell9209 Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:15 pm

Hey, Posting one paragraph of my essay, would appreciate your thoughts and any help with grammer.

Thanks

Darrell

Bullying is hostile behavior that is intentional and involves an imbalance of power or strength. While trying to deal with all the challenges of life as a teenager, the fear of being different only adds pressure to those who identifies as, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning.(GLBTQ) Teenagers who identify themselves as a sexually minority (GLBTQ), or are perceived to be, can face unrelenting teasing and bullying by their peers. Hearing anti-gay slurs such as “That’s so gay”, “faggot” and “sissy” are not only derogatory and offensive, but have a profound effect on the mind. This leads to feelings of separation among their peers, fear of losing the stability and security of family and friends; which is an unfortunate reality for some. Faced with additional maltreatment and physical violence not only from the bully in the schools, it is repeated time and again from a portion of society that deems ‘Homosexuality’, as being wrong and immoral. This continual emotional torture can lead to overwhelming isolation, depression, and suicide.

darrell9209

Back to top Go down

Bullying and Sexual Orientation Empty Commenting on Bullying

Post  julia4657 Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 pm

darrell9209 wrote: Darrell, I think this paragraph speaks for itself. It's a subject that has been given widespread media attention recently, and one that needs to be communicated to the youths of today. Bullying is not acceptable!! When it is in the school yard or in the GLBTQ community.
Julia

Hey, Posting one paragraph of my essay, would appreciate your thoughts and any help with grammer.

Thanks

Darrell

Bullying is hostile behavior that is intentional and involves an imbalance of power or strength. While trying to deal with all the challenges of life as a teenager, the fear of being different only adds pressure to those who identifies as, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning.(GLBTQ) Teenagers who identify themselves as a sexually minority (GLBTQ), or are perceived to be, can face unrelenting teasing and bullying by their peers. Hearing anti-gay slurs such as “That’s so gay”, “faggot” and “sissy” are not only derogatory and offensive, but have a profound effect on the mind. This leads to feelings of separation among their peers, fear of losing the stability and security of family and friends; which is an unfortunate reality for some. Faced with additional maltreatment and physical violence not only from the bully in the schools, it is repeated time and again from a portion of society that deems ‘Homosexuality’, as being wrong and immoral. This continual emotional torture can lead to overwhelming isolation, depression, and suicide.

julia4657

Back to top Go down

Bullying and Sexual Orientation Empty RE: body of essay

Post  100688788 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 am

I like your beginnings. On line 3, instead of identifies, I would use identify. Check out www.questioningtransgender.com, if you can use it, you will finds loads of informtion on this site for your topic. Excellent topic. It needs to be heard. Good luck
Maureen

Back to top Go down

Bullying and Sexual Orientation Empty bullying and sexual orientation comment

Post  Ryan Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey Darrell, this is good. A few suggestions that I do have are: maybe, use some statistics to back up what you are saying here (maybe try statscan?), also, grammatically, in the fourth line of your body paragraph you say 'a sexually minority', i think that this is 'a sexual minority'. Good Luck.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum