College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Secret Powers of Time (VIDEO)

Go down

The Secret Powers of Time (VIDEO) Empty The Secret Powers of Time (VIDEO)

Post  MichaelD Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:49 pm

In this video Professor Philip Zimbardo conveys how our individual perspectives of time affect our work, health and well-being. Time influences who we are as a person, how we view relationships and how we act in the world.

I find it interesting when one begins to separate time itself into various perspectives. I'm sure each and every one on here could easily identify at least one strong example of an either past, present or future-oriented person within their immediate circle of friends and family Razz

Although, one of the ideas presented by Prof Zimbardo is that our brains are being 'digitally re-wired'. With all the recent discussions and research regarding brain plasticity (see The Brain That Changes Itself by Dr. Norman Doidge), I believe this really should be a bigger issue for parents of the modern child. If our brains are in fact capable of adaptivity to such an extent, then anyone subjecting themselves to a false reality (like World of Warcraft, for example) for such lengthy amounts of time is then grossly jeopordizing our society's functionality as a whole. It is beyond any doubt that as we have seen new technologies in entertainment sector emerge over time, there has been a significant decrease in enthusiasm for the typical 'analog' classroom setting.

Technology is the application and usage and knowledge of tools, and should simply be an extension of man's will. However, I find cases of technology's impositions onto man of how to go about those applications are becoming more and more prevalent. Though not everyone has time in their lives to consistently remain connected through social networks, it has become a professional necessity to be connected online in one way or another. Be it through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or other social networking site, if you're not on-board with at least one, you will find yourself getting left behind in the proverbial dust.

MichaelD

Back to top Go down