College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which introduction would sound better?

2 posters

Go down

Which introduction would sound better? Empty Which introduction would sound better?

Post  trellou Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:50 pm

My entire narrative is 1390. I need to trim it. The story is about a girl who have strive hard to achieving her dream. I was advised to trim the first paragraph of my narrative.

Original Paragraph:
My name is “Estrellita.” An old lady, whom I once helped to cross the street, told me that my name is as beautiful as my soul. I did not like my name because it was too long, but I was touched by her compliment. That same day, my friend Jenny, called me “Estrellita” again, though I would always remind her that my friends call me “Trely”. “There is something in your name that I really like,” she said. All this praise about my name made me smile every time I recalled it.

Revised Paragraph:
My name is “Estrellita.” I have often been complimented on my name, and this has made me happy each time I have recalled it. It reminds me that I have a purpose in life, and that I must try hard to achieve this.

Do you think my Revised Paragraph be OK as my introduction??? PLEASE HELP!
trellou
trellou

Back to top Go down

Which introduction would sound better? Empty What about something part way between the two?

Post  Derek Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 pm

My name is Estrellita. An old lady I once helped across the street told me that my name was as beautiful as my soul. I didn't like my name because it was too long, but I was touched by her compliment. That same day, my friend Jenny, called me “Estrellita” again, though my friends usually called me “Trely”. “There is something in your name that I really like,” she said. I smile every time I recall it.
Derek
Derek
Admin

https://comm1007.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Which introduction would sound better? Empty Here is the second part... already shortened

Post  trellou Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:38 pm

It actually became like this...

My name is “Estrellita.” I have often been complimented on my name, and this has made me happy each time I have recalled it. It reminds me that I have a purpose in life, and that I must try hard to achieve this.
A classmate once told me that I am lucky because I live just one building away from school. I agreed with her, not only because I live close by, but also because the route going home gave me so much joy. Along this route is a walkway with bright lights, trees with leaves that rustle as the breeze blows, and squirrels munching bits of food. Past these trees is the main gate of the building. One time, the front light was not working properly, and had been blinking like a Christmas light for several days. One night, I felt that something was different. I realized that the lights were off; the squirrels and the rustle of the leaves were “missing”. The silence was just too deafening, which reminded me of certain unpleasant memories. As my eyes were accustomed to the darkness, a sudden striking light came that seemed too bright and it felt like I was taken a thousand miles away from the present…

trellou
trellou

Back to top Go down

Which introduction would sound better? Empty Re: Which introduction would sound better?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down