College English Forum 2010-2011
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited

2 posters

Go down

Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited Empty Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited

Post  trellou Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:33 pm

I was reading a page in a nursing book and I found a paragraph that has captured my interest. I am planning to cite a selected part of this paragraph but I am not sure how to cite this in my essay as this paragraph was also cited by the author.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

trellou
trellou

Back to top Go down

Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited Empty Re: Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited

Post  SeanSweeney Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:02 am

Try looking on this website, it is a very good resource and will probably give you the answers you are looking for.The Purdue Online Writing Lab
SeanSweeney
SeanSweeney

Back to top Go down

Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited Empty Re:

Post  trellou Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:23 am

Thanks Seansweeney,

Purdue Online Writing Lab is the best site I have seen so far when it comes to citing and referencing sources.

For those students who have encountered the same difficulty like mine, here what I have read at the Purdue Writing Lab:

Citing Indirect Sources

If you use a source that was cited in another source, name the original source in your signal phrase. List the secondary source in your reference list and include the secondary source in the parentheses.
Johnson argued that...(as cited in Smith, 2003, p. 102).

Note:When citing material in parentheses, set off the citation with a comma, as above.
trellou
trellou

Back to top Go down

Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited Empty Re: Help! Citing a group of text that was previously cited

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down